McAfee is an industry leader in computer protection and VirusScan is their #1 defense against viruses. This software comes with a ScriptStopper to prevent viruses from propagating from one computer to another via email, and WormStopper.
Some downsides to the program are that it doesnt provide instant message protection, P2P/file sharing protection or registry startup protection. Check out the Gold product if youre looking for these features.
Ease of Use:
If you use the default settings, setup is a breeze. The default settings provide very good protection against viruses, Trojans, worms, malicious ActiveX controls and Java applets.
The SecurityCenter has several tabs besides the VirusScan tab. There is one for Personal Firewall+, Privacy Service and SpamKiller. These are other programs offered by McAfee.
VirusScan boasts one of the best virus detection records. The software received the VB100% award for 2007, the ICSA award for 2007 and passed both level 1& 2 Checkmarks from West Coast Labs.
McAfee VirusScan 9.0 automatically downloads updated virus definitions from the Internet on a regular basis. Staying up to date will dramatically decrease any possibility that a virus will infect your computer. On Average, McAfee comes out with new virus definitions on a daily basis.
You will have to register and login to get updates making the process longer than it needs be.
McAfee VirusScan offers a rich list of features. You can set VirusScan to scan your computer at a preprogrammed scheduled time. The program also scans for spyware and adware.
You cant add several tasks to the Scheduled Scan. It would be great to be able to scan all files once a month and only program files weekly or any other tasks you would like to set up.
McAfee has an Antivirus Emergency Response Team that continually monitors the worldwide virus activities to provide you with the utmost safety. The always-on protection guards against viruses, spyware and other Internet threats that may enter your PC via e-mail, instant message attachments, Internet downloads, and web browsing.
Ease of Installation:
We didnt encounter any problems during the installation process.
McAfee has plenty of help options, including documentation, email and phone support. We were disappointed with their email response time – it took 5 days to respond and they didnt answer all of our questions, hence the low rating.
6-in-1 Prevention and Protection
* Safe Search, Safe Surf. McAfee® SiteAdvisor™ adds ratings to websites to help you avoid online dangers.
* Home License Subscription Service. Automatically delivers the latest software features and threat updates and lets you easily manage security subscriptions for all your PCs.
* Stops Viruses. Blocks and removes viruses and even stops them before they even get to your PC.
* Stops Hackers. Protects and conceals your computer from hackers.
* Blocks Spyware. Blocks spyware before it installs on your computer and removes existing spyware.
* Improves PC Health. Cleans clutter off your computer so it stays healthy and secure.
* Redesigned for You. Scan your computer, check for updates and configure your security settings using the new McAfee® SecurityCenter™. This easy-to-use “dashboard” gives you one-click access to your computer’s security information.
* Always On, Always Protecting. 24/7 virus and threat protection from McAfee® Avert® Labs continuously monitors worldwide virus activities and provides rapid anti-virus protection and removal solutions.
* Always Upgrading, Always Updating. Daily updates are installed automatically. When new versions are available, you get them automatically at no charge, ensuring that you always have up-to-date protection.
* Convenient, Ongoing Protection. McAfee offers a variety of renewal options to keep your McAfee protection current.
* Real People, Real Help. Support from McAfees computer security experts, via Internet chat, e-mail and phone. (service.mcafee.com)
* Microsoft® Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 (SP4) or higher, Windows XP with Service Pack 1 (SP1) or higher, Windows Vista* Personal computer with Pentium-compatible processor 500 MHz or higher and 256 MB RAM or higher.
* 800 X 600 or higher resolution.
* Internet connection.
* Microsoft® Internet Explorer 6.0 or later.
* Optional: Mozilla Firefox 1.5 or later.
Note: To upgrade to the latest version of Internet Explorer, visit the Microsoft website at www.microsoft.com
Supported Email Programs
* POP3 (Outlook Express, Outlook, Eudora, Netscape).
Supported Instant Messaging Programs
* AOL Instant Messenger 2.1 or later.
* Yahoo Messenger 4.1 or later.
* Microsoft Windows Messenger 3.6 or later.
* MSN Messenger 6.0 or later.
* Must meet Windows Vista operating system requirements
* Internet access required for updating